The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vela March 4, 2018
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Vela March 4, 2018 Reply with quote

We're starting our countdown for Vela, sailing March 4-10. Whoohoo!! Take that you feisty hurricanes! You may have delayed us but we'll not be left ashore forever.
jacquie

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear. I will check out FWI and post good trip report

[/url]
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Paul.
jacquie

mlabato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Hello Shipmates! Reply with quote

Hello!
My husband Rich and I will be on this cruise. We have our own 36' sailboat, and have done a Maine windjammer before, but would appreciate any advice/info you long-time Vela cruisers have about the trip.

Can't wait!
Melissa
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to have a blast!

Best tips: pack light (do as I say, not as I do!) and plan to have fun!

We've sailed on Vela 2x, and if you let me know which cabin you have, I probably can give you some info about it. If you have specific questions, let me know. But expect: casual, comfortable, wonderful ship, great crew, great food and beautiful islands.

Saltine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're on this trip. Lol...maybe I should recheck my booking to make sure.

We took the same trip last year and had a lot of fun. I think the best tip I can give is to buy Euros from your local bank for the islands who use it. Last year the only ATM was broken so my husband and I became an unofficial bureau de change for some of our shipmates.

For packing I can't say enough about packing cubes. My husband and I emptied our bags and shoved them in the cubby holes and stacked the cubes in the little cubby hole closet. It kept our cabin under control and made getting clothes easier. You won't need much in the way of variety in your clothes...tshirts, tanks, shorts and swimsuits. I was called fancy one night because I put on cotton cargo pants. I was happy one day to have a light waterproof jacket for an island day but I could have lived without it.

You mentioned the Maine Windjammers, which one did you sail?
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAME BACK LAST WEEK FROM A 12 DAY VELA FWI/ST VINCENT ISLANDS. I GOT 300 EURO FROM B OF A BEFORE THE TRIP. I DIDNT SPEND TO MUCH OF IT. SPENT 55 EUROS ON A 3L BOX OF RUM. YES BOX OF RUM . JUST LIKE THE WINE IN THE BOX THE FRENCH ISALND of Guadalupe has rum in a box. Great for travelling. Had a wine and chesses night and need about 10E for wine. Had a couple of lunches ashore and one night we went for drinks on Illse de Saintes. I spent about half of my Euros. could have taken home and cashed back at BofA. I had a bunch of EC at the end of the trip. Gave the crew my end of trip tip in Euro, EC and dollars. There was no problem with this with the Ops Manager. Yes there were a few ATMs broken. Better to have more than you need than not enough. You can look at my Vela comments for 10 Dec- 22 Dec or ask me here if you have any questions. this was second 12 trip on Vela and 2 12 day trips on Diamant

[/url]
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also get starter pack of Euros at AAA. It's about $100 worth which is plenty to buy water, drinks, wine, etc. The least amount of Euros I could get at the bank was $300 worth and I didn't want that many. AAA has to order the Euros so you need to place an order several days in advance of picking them up. We actually came home with some which we'll use the next time we sail. Also do the same with EC as we know we'll be going back.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info, everyone.
Countdown: 65 Days!
Jeff and I are looking forward to meeting Rich & Melissa and Saltine...whohoo!
jacquie

sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the by, we're staying at the Marigot Bay Beach Resort....a favorite of ours.
arriving via AA at 3:37pm on March 2 (unless AA decides to change the flight times once again).
Julie (and Jeff)

Jotum
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually just hit an atm when I get to the islands with a card that does not charge a foreign fee. If I have any currency left and am not going to be using it very soon I use it as part of the crew tips or my bill for excursions and ship store.
caribbeangirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but the ATM's were broken
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATM were a problem during my trip a few weeks ago in Illse des Saintes. that is why I got Euos at BofA before the trip. Got 300 euros and spent 150 and left the left over as part of the tip ( I was on a 12 day sail.) My tip was in euros, EC and dollars plus EC coins . Ops manager had no problem with the combination.

[/url]
Saltine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear I hope I didn't start the great Euro debate!

The last place I want controversy is on vacation, so I'll add that some people didn't have problems with the ATM, some who did bought Euros from others, and some managed without. I don't think it's anything that will make or break a trip.

Now the packing cubes is my hill to die on, so no packing cube debates...that's personal :D

Kidding about the packing cubes...i can't think of anything about this trip that I take too seriously...except cocktail hour.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rofl rofl rofl rofl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: